Saturday, May 24, 2008

Have a great Memorial Day!

Memorial Day Weekend is here , and summer has officially kicked off but while we are running around buying food and beer, or outdoors grilling, or paying through the nose for gas in order to drive somewhere, let us not forget what the Holiday means. While we are enjoying a three-day weekend, there are many members of our US Military who are halfway around the world, away from their families and friends, risking their own lives.There will be many cookouts and other gatherings this weekend across Delmarva and the entire country who will be missing one or more family members, because they are in Iraq, or Germany, or out at sea.
There are also many others who lost their lives who have proudly served their country in the past. That, my fellow Americans, is what this Holiday is truly about.
I also wanted to mention that forty years ago this week, the USS Scorpion disappeared with 99 men aboard and was later officially listed as missing in June by the Navy. About six months later the Skipjack class nuclear submarine and her crews remains were found deep in the Atlantic Ocean.the submersible was based in Norfolk,, Virginia.
Let us all take the time this weekend to remember these brave sailors and others who lost their lives serving their country.

3 comments:

Wymzie said...

Start writing AGAIN!!!!

Wymzie

Blog Editor said...

Hey TotMom. I read a lot of your stuff over on Joe's blog. I keep a low-profile regarding my true identity on Joe's blog because I don't want people to think I am posting there just because I blog myself (my alter-ego is Reese Bobby). You seriously cracked me up regarding your home protection strategy-don't know if you caught my follow-up comment there, but I just about crapped myself when I re-watched The Blues Brothers and saw Elwood disable the Daley Center elevator with a Zippo and aeresol can. Then I saw you were a Coen brothers fan and did an article on USS Scorpion. I agree, start writing in your blog again!!!! You seem like a cool person uneffected by the divisive extremes that bring us down these days. Stay in touch...

Chimera said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement.I plan on starting to blog again very soon-the economy indirectly shut me down.I had to go out and get a PT job to help out my husband with these bills and between that and my duties at home,I do not get much spare time.Within a few weeks,now that my child is in school,I hope to get started again.
And the Coen brothers are pure genius as far as I am concerned.I had to say when I remembered the BB scene in the elevator I laughed too!
And "Reese Bobby" is an excellent moniker-"APPLEBEES HAS RATS!"One of Gary Coles funnier characters!Thanks again!