Sunday, March 16, 2008

Happy Saint Patricks Day/Show your Celtic Pride!


Break out the Baileys Irish Cream,the green Schlitz beer,corned beef & cabbage-tomorrow is St.Patricks Day,which honors the late Christian missionary and patron saint of Ireland.Those of you who do not wear green on Monday may be chastised!
Although I am not devoutly observant of the holiday,I do appreciate it greatly.My late maternal grandfather was a 2nd generation Irish-American,and he followed his ancestors footsteps to become a shipbuilder as a young man and later a skilled and very sought-after craftsman and carpenter.Irish immigrants,as well as Italian and Polish immigrants,were not treated very well when they first arrived on American soil,and yet they overcame all the obstacles in their path.the very first St.Patricks Day parade was held in NYC by Irish soldiers serving in the British Army in 1767 and ever since then many major US cities have elaborate festivities to observe the day.Locally,there is a St.Patricks Day parade annually in Ocean City,and while I have never been there,I hear it is quite a celebration.
Even if you are not Irish,if you are looking for an excuse to party,here it is.Just please remember that if you drink,do not drive.Not only is it stupid and selfish,the police WILL be out there looking for drunk drivers.And if you indulge in cabbage( it doesnt agree with me!),do your wife or significant other a favor and take some Beano or GAS-X!LOL-In a nod to my Irish-Italian roots,I DID make a succulent triple layer 3 cheese sausage lasagna!Happy St.Paddys Day!!!!

No comments: