Sunday, March 9, 2008

"Turkey-spotting"

There seem to be alot of turkeys out and about today around my neck of the woods and while I was not able to get good pics with my primitive technology (LOL) I have to say there was about 25-30 turkey hens grazing in the cornfield across the road from my place!They hover close to the edge of the trees and stay in a group and what tickles me is that when they go back into the woods they have to cross a huge drainage ditch and they all line up,single-file to "jump" the ditch with a flutter of wings,and cross one at a time!I rarely see a turkey tom,but you know theres always a handful of them somewhere on the edge of the woods,watching over the hens while they eat.I was curious and asked my husband why the toms sit there and hold sentinel like that and you know what his reply was?"They are looking out for their bitches!"ROFLMAO-crude,but when you think about it-it makes sense.My daughter especially loves to spot deer,turkey and the occasional herons that appear,not to mention snakes,frogs and turtles and on days like this,I am so glad we are raising her out in the country rather than in town where theres traffic,and no wildlife to speak of.

No comments: