Monday, March 10, 2008

"Hey you GUYS!!!!!!"- The Electric Company Comeback


According to PBS, Sesame Workshop has an updated version of the old-school PBS kids show "The Electric Company"(aired 1971-1977) in the works and it is expected to start airing on PBS affiliates in the fall of 2008.I am not only not surprised,I also think it is a great idea and a novel way to introduce a whole new generation to the shows us 30-somethings grew up watching as kids!
I recently borrowed one of the DVD Volumes that were released in 2006 for my daughter and she LOVED it,so much that she knows the theme song now LOL.In my day it was what you graduated to when you grew out of Sesame Street and there were alot of stars like Morgan Freeman, Rita Moreno,and Bill Cosby.They had original recurring characters like "Easy Reader" ,comic shorts of "Spiderman" and a neat part of the show called "Short Circus",a group of singing and dancing kids,including a very young Irene Cara(Fame).In addition to the DVD Volumes,Apple offers classic original episodes of "The Electric Company" through I-Tunes.I can hardly wait to see the remade 2008 premiere!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the spot you earned on SBYNEWS. I think you will do a fabulous job!!!!

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when I saw your post as I loved Electric Company. My brother and I were reminiscing the other day about how my mom would get so mad at us when we would play the "word game" just like they did on the show. Do you remember when they had two people's silhouettes facing each other and one would say the first sound of a word and the other person would say the last sound of the word. They would then say both sounds together to form the single word. Well, my brother and I had our own "R" rated version of that game as we would do it with cuss words!