Sunday, November 25, 2007

Roots & channel surfing


I am a night owl by nature and one of my more peculiar habits is I cannot sleep unless the Tv is on,whatever room I am in so I do alot of channel surfing and despite the fact I have satellite Tv its hard to find something good on late at night.
Late last night,as I was settling in,I happened upon the 1977 miniseries "Roots" on TV1.It was based on a book by one of my favorite authors,Alex Haley.This year marks the 30th Anniversary of the epic and thus a DVD set is now available.The allstar cast was was made up of some of the biggest names in acting in the 70's & the story is heartwrenching and horrific but also one of hope.I was too young to watch it when it first aired but I can remember it was aBIG deal back then and is still one of the highest rated TV miniseries in history!

2 comments:

LadyLibertarian said...

You are so right, Totmom. I took a risk in showing it to my classes of mostly minority students (I am white). Since I work for a private school, I had to go through our company's corporate office to do it. It was worth it and really started a positive dialogue. I wish I could find it on DVD. EVERYONE should see it.

Chimera said...

If you are interested in buying it and dont want to pay full price at a video outlet you can check Amazon for a sightly used DVD set-it also re-airs uncut frequently on TV One