Thursday, November 29, 2007

The "Grinch" is alive and well in Vermont

A homeless man who is a paid bell-ringer for The Salvation Army in Barre,VT was kicked out of the homeless shelter he was staying in since May after they learned of his activities during the day.
The Good Samaritan Haven requires its guests to leave the shelter at 7 AM daily to "look for work or a place to live" and the executive director,Paul Mascitti,says that 48 yr old Paul Tucker is in violation of the shelters rules because instead of finding a job and caring for himself,he is helping to raise money for the needy.HUH?WTF?Is that a conondrum or what?The man IS working,as Salvation Army pays him $20 a day for meals.Ask around and I am sure most of the bell ringers here on Delmarva are paid rather than volunteer,so what is this shelters problem?He could leave the shelter everyday and go get a bottle and stay drunk all day or get into trouble a thousand different ways but he chose to help others and work at the same time.If the shelters position is that he should help himself before he helps others,I get it-but have you ever tried finding a job at this time of the year?How about finding a job when you have no address or home phone number to give on the application? On a personal note,I have tried to find a temp job for the holiday season and got dick for my efforts.I have a home address,transportation,a babysitter and prior job experience,not to mention NO criminal record and I cant get a job stocking shelves!I also happened to notice that while I cant get a job,Kmart and other local stores have people employed for the holidays that they end up firing for stealing!
However,I digress-this isnt about me-its about Mr. Tucker and the many people in this country who cant get a fair break!Maybe he got tired of getting turned down for more convential jobs and decided to do the best he could for the time and in the process,help others in need.Captain Louis Patrick,of the local Salvation Army,says that Mr.Tucker is a good man who will do anything for anybody.Mr.Mascitti of the shelter says,and I quote "If you're not doing anything 10 hours a day, whether it's lounging on a beach or working for the Salvation Army or sitting at a Dunkin' Donuts, you're breaking your contract with us," AND "I can't see someone saying, 'I'm going to benefit mankind when I haven't taken care of myself.'"Notice he used the word "WORKING".So if Tucker has a job whats the problem?I think its just because he is working for a nonprofit organization that provides services similar to Good Samaritan,and I think they need to get over it.Like I said he could be off somewhere on a toot all day drinking or getting into trouble but he is working to help others,even when he has so little himself.Isnt that the whole meaning of Christmas?Apparently not in Barre,Vermont.

3 comments:

BabyMamaNurse said...

Big dumb mean asses. I swear...can't give someone a break. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

I got so cranky when I heard about this earlier. It's a little something he can do to give back and the shelter is saying "nuh huh.' Jerks.
I believe it shows more incentive to go out and stand and ring a bell for hours than go to a store, ask for an app, fill it half out and get a signature.

Chimera said...

Yeah really-that was my point-he could be smoking crack or drinking cheap wine somewhere all day or sleeping under a bridge but he is trying to help other people!