Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cooking with booze.....

Grand Marnier Rouge




My hubby and I wanted to roast a glazed pork loin today and of all things we were out of brown sugar,so I tried to come up with an alternative and settled on a shot glass of Grand Marnier added to the BBQ sauce/marinade-(I have added Jim Beam to BBQ sauce and marinades in the past for beef-real good).After 45 minutes in the oven at 400,and wrapped in foil,it came out delectable!There was no need for steak knives because you could cut it with a fork!I seldom imbibe but when I do its the top shelf cognac!I went online and there are numerous recipes dor marinades using stuff from your home bar!I know,its so 70's to keep a bar shelf in your house,especially when you only drink 2 or 3 times a year but its just hospitality!Some tequila,vodka,Kahlua,rum,gin,bourbon,Peachtree and cordial liquor like Grand M is all you need for a basic "budget" bar LOL.I know someone who makes the finest desserts and uses various liquors for cakes and whatnot and its amazing how many uses it has around the house.Then I was reminded of an episode of "Mythbusters" where the proved the myth that vodka was just as good a foot bath for stinky feet as a commercially prepared foot wash product AND a bottle of vodka with cinnamon infused in it is just as effective a mouthwash as Listerine!I wouldn't recommend gargling it before driving and I will stick to the store-bought mouthwash myself!

So the next time you are feeling expiremental in the kitchen try whatever is left over from your New Years Eve party!

No comments: