Thursday, February 7, 2008

Dissed by Verizon

I have not been able to post to Blogger at all today because of some ongoing "technical difficulties" and I am starting to get a little fed up!
I am a "dinosaur" in that I still have dial-up internet access and unfortunately that is all that is available to me where I live.Normally I can get at least 40 kbps on that connection,but a couple of weeks ago I started losing bandwidth gradually until I ended up with what I am trying to work with now-a whopping 9.6 kbps-which is next to impossible to do ANYTHING with online.It literally takes over a half an hour to check my email and thats if there is not many messages-pretty bad,huh?I was going to chalk it up to the weather but if that was the case my connection would have improved in a day or so as it usually did before.So,I checked with my internet service provider-they found no problems and directed me to call my telephone provider,hinting that the source of my troubles lie there.
Well,I have called Verizon Repair Service TWICE in the past 10 days and both times was told a techinician would come out.Nobody showed up on either occasion and when I called to check I was told my "trouble report had been cleared".Bullsh*t!!!!The repair rep wanted to argue with me and their stance is that they only guarantee dial tone,nothing else.So basically my bandwidth issues are my problem as far as they are concerned,but I am not buying it.I live about 10 miles away from my local switching office and everyday I ride past those little phone boxes that pop up out of the ground every 30-50 feet and the majority of those boxes along these back roads are battered and not properly sealed closed.Hmmm.....Verizon...wonder if THAT could be the problem?I also think my own outside wiring needs replaced.MY next step is to lodge a complaint with the President of Verizon in Maryland,AND the public service commission,which may sound extreme but after being blown off twice I have a right to be pissed.There is a chance that my internet problems have nothing to do with the phone lines but as a customer who pays extra for Verizons "Guardian" repair plan,I damn well want someone here when they say they will be here,and they have failed,twice!
Sorry to rant,but I am fed up with having only ONE local telephone company to choose from.They do not value their customers because they know they are the only choice.People in my area have been asking for DSL for over 2 years now and we still cant get any headway on that(they cant even maintain the copper lines they already have out here)but a development down the road from us that is barely finished already has DSL.WTF?If they do not care enought to give us DSL then they could at the very least show up for service appointments but apparently even that is too much.Time Warner,Charter,and all the rest of the media companies would have no difficulty getting subscribers if they were to offer services in this market,because people are just fed up with Verizon-myself included!
So unless a miracle happens and I am able to fix my bandwidth issues,I will not be able to blog as much but I will still be here!And if any of you out there reading have any idea what else could be causing my bad connection please clue me in!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Totmom...... I don't know how to fix it, but I have noticed, that after a heavy rain, my internet connection is almost non existant. I live out in BFE. (Tyaskin) So if you can figure it out....let me know. I lose alot of speed after a heavy rainfall though....
Mandy (MaurasMommy)

Chimera said...

Extreme cold and rain affect my connection badly too!Depending on where you live in Tyaskin,you might be able to get cable internet-I used to live down that way and even though I lived in the sticks we had cable TV.
My speed is better today but who knows when it will trickle down again?lol

Anonymous said...

I live on Capitola Rd. It is not available to us yet. We want it (our neighborhood) but we are a little town..Not enough revenue to do the work for us to have it yet.

Chimera said...

I lived on Jesterville Rd and was shocked upon moving in when I learned I could get cable!!!!!I had dialup down there though and it was pretty fast because the switching station was close,its right over on the curve by the Westside Firehouse.I was amazed because while we had cable that far out,people I knew who lived on Green Hill Rd didnt have it!Apparently it goes by population density so if theres enough people clustered in a rural area they will run it.

Anonymous said...

When dealing with email over a slow connection, it is best to check your inbox through web mail and delete unwanted or unnecessary messages before downloading into Outlook. This saves you the time of waiting for the junk mail to download along with stuff you really want to keep.

Chimera said...

Hey thanks Anon-I already do that lol!My ISP automatically forwards email with large file attachments to a seperate folder so I can check them on web mail-I get a notice sent to me in my regular inbox for each one.Pretty nifty!Also,if I use a web page frequently throughout the day,I will keep that window open in the background so I do not have to download Flash crap all over again when I want to return.You learn those tricks when you have prehistoric connectivity LOL