Friday, February 15, 2008

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!

Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows my opinion of sex offenders-they are incurable and almost always re-offend and if they are not dealt with harshly,some will escalate their crimes to murder.The recent early release of a convicted sex offender and killer stirred up alot of emotions in me as well as many others.They just do not "stop" offending-ask any cop or parole officer.So I was outraged this morning when I was reading the SPD call-log at SBYNEWS and read about the alleged sexual assault on a young girl on Riverside Drive.Why?Because as a mother I have made it my job to STUDY the sex offender registry often and I recalled the name of the assailant in this police report as one of the 60+ names on the registry for Salisbury(I used to live there and got familiar with the offenders bios!). I got the shock of my life when I realized by his bio where I had seen him before-about 2 years ago I was in the Salisbury Walmart and noticed two weird guys following closely behind unaware "tween"(12-16) girls-they were a little too old to be checking these girls out the way they were,and the girls were oblivious to the guys.I was alarmed because at that time I thought he looked familiar(when I checked the registry later that night,I learned I was correct).I was torn because technically the men were not breaking the law.I could not very well tell the girls and send them into a panic and I did not want to even approach either of the men.Later some suggested I could have reported it to the manager-but what would I report?A hunch?
Now with this latest news,I know I am right!How many times does a guy get to repeat the same stuff before we say "enough!" and put his ass away for a long stretch?If unchecked,many of them get "bored"with simple sex assaults and escalate to deadly force against their victims.I am sick to death of the imbalance in prison sentences.Guys do more time in the pen for selling dope than one who rapes innocent children.Even worse,nonviolent criminals are serving longer mandatory minimum sentences such as "3 strikes" convictions than child MURDERERS.WTF?I do not expect miracles,I just expect harsher sentencing for any crime of this nature.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sex offenders NEVER REHABILITATE.

It's a sad thing. I pray for all the children and women that they NEVER have to experience something of that nature. Most of these crimes go unreported, so we will never really know all the offenders.

People always say "I never thought so & so would do such a thing or I would have never let them near my kids, ect..."

These criminals hone their skills to conceal their true selves. So you never know WHO will do these things. The only things we can do is to recognize the signs (if present), trust your gut, and talk, talk, talk to your kids.

Chimera said...

I am extra protective of my daughter because she is a VERY friendly and polite child with strangers.Its sad to know that this is not a safe world for kids anymore.