Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Another reason I avoid the zoo......

Todays Daily Times reports that a vagrant was busted for drug possession (marijuana)after he was found sleeping in a Salisbury Zoo restroom Monday morning,which does not surprise me one bit and gives me another reason not to return.Before I get into that-I have to say this-if a guy can afford to buy a bag of weed,he can rent a motel room!Now I will continue with my story.
On my last visit to the Zoo in the fall of 2007,I was speaking with some adolescent girls swinging in the Red Swings Park vicinity,who told me that they now use the "buddy system" and no longer come to the Zoo alone or without their cell phones because they have both been previously harassed by vagrants hanging around the area.Before anyone gets righteously indignant with me,I am not saying all homeless people are criminals-they are for the most part people like you and I,who met with unfortunate life events.However,there is a small group of them in Salisbury who are aggressive in their solicitation and for all I know,some of them are not even homeless,they are just people who hang out in the streets up to no good.My point?
The Salisbury Zoo needs better security than they have and by security I do not mean shooing out people with cameras and camcorders and calling the police on them(you all know what I am talking about!).Unless Bens Red Swings is PACKED with families and children,I no longer visit because I literally fear for the safety of my child and myself.It's bad enough the place is choked with litter almost everytime I stop there and the trash cans that are available are overflowing,but I cannot abide the risks of getting mugged,raped and/or assaulted.Spend some of that 66k zoo director salary on some REAL security before someone gets hurt!

3 comments:

joe albero said...

If you only knew! As I'm sure you know, my Wife worked there for 18 years. The pedophiles that roam that Zoo that is covered up by the City is UNREAL!

Chimera said...

That doesn't surprise me-I have noticed men walking around the zoo by themselves just checking out the kiddies,as a parent I am very observant like that.They are barred from school areas but theres no law to keep them out of public places like zoos,malls and parks.I just don't feel safe there,for my kid or myself.

Anonymous said...

Brandon knows the guy that was caught he was just passed out not homeless. Just figured I add