Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Take my ass,please..."


Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue in Minnesota is hoping to convince more Midwestern rural folks to "foster" donkeys for them until they are placed in permanent homes.They have over a thousand abused and/or neglected wild burros and donkeys and while many of them have been adopted and placed in sanctuaries in western states such as California,there is still a pressing need for what they call "satellite adoption centers",where landowners would agree to foster up to 6 donkeys and try to procure permanent homes for them.It's a win-win situation because the Donkey Rescue will reimburse the "foster parents" for hay and veterinary expenses-they just need to shelter,contain and care for the animals until homes are found.
Donkeys have little monetary value,and are unfairly characterized as stubborn difficult animals when truthfully they are gentle,smart and social creatures.I had to blog about this because I know there are alot of animal lovers out there in "Internet Land" and I fervently hope those of you with room to roam will consider fostering one of these animals.If I had a couple acres of my own,I would definitely be willing to keep a donkey!Let us hope they all eventually find good homes with people who truly love animals!!

No comments: