Tuesday, January 8, 2008

They don't call 'em Retrievers for nothing....


I owned two black Labs when I was a kid and they are great dogs,you can teach them to fetch damn near anything,in fact my late Uncle had one that fetched beer by the can! I love the breed so I wanted to share the story of a heroic Lab out in Indiana that saved his masters life last Friday.
Christopher Peebles,13,was asleep along with two of his friends in the basement of his home Friday morning when his black Lab,Laney,started biting him hard on his foot.Thinking the dog had to go out and "do her business",Christopher & his pals got up to go outdoors with the dog and when they opened the upstairs door,they smelled smoke and evacuated the home,which sustained 25,000 dollars in damages but thanks to Laney,the boys got out in time and alerted the fire department.The boys parents,who were at work,reported that Laney does not go anywhere without their son and NEVER bites,but she knew something was wrong and did what she had to do to get them awake and outside!
Laney deserves a BIG beef bone for her efforts!Heroic dogs never fail to amaze me and with so many negative news about dogs,I wanted to give this black Lab her "props"!

11 comments:

Bob said...

We have two labs and two Saint Bernards. One lab is a genetic anomoly and mentally defective. Our yellow lab is perhaps the most intelligent dog I've ever owned (by my account). She will fetch anything in any weather at any place. When you talk to her it seems as though she understands every word. She jumps on the back of my four wheeler and rides with us on the way out to go hunting. Your right! In my opinion they're one of the best breeds.

Chimera said...

Yep!My uncle had one named "Pepper" and he would say "Pepper,get me a Budweiser!" and she would run out onto the back porch and grab one off the 6 pack ring and bring it back.She also ate lollipops lol.

Unknown said...

My Moms dog looks just like the dog in the picture above. It is amazing how much they look alike. I have a black lab name Chloe and she is the most lovable dog ever. You can pick her up and lay her on her back, she will let you do anything to her. I love that she is so loveable b/c I like that when I come home she is right there to greet me and she rarely ever leaves my side. She has a toy that is her favorite and I call it lambchop because it looks exactly like Lambchop that was on the childrens show. She brings it EVERYWHERE with her! They are great and you can't stay mad at that adorable face :)

Chimera said...

They are just adorable with those squarish heads of theirs-especially when you talk to them or scold them and they cock their heads sideways at you lol.I love em!

Unknown said...

Chloe loves to chew gum! It sounds wierd but after i chew it for a little bit i will give it to her when there is still some flavor and she will chew it for at least 10 minutes. it is the funniest thing to watch :)

Chimera said...

They are funny dogs!Emily-do you use the name"Emily Bug" online?

Unknown said...

No I don't lol, why you ask that?

Chimera said...

My cousin has a GF named Emily who likes dogs too but theres alot of emilys lol

Unknown said...

What would your cousins name happen to be???

Chimera said...

His initials are E.L.M.

Unknown said...

Nope, no idea who that is.. sorry. It all depends on where he lives too, cuz we could live in 2 totally different places.