Monday, January 21, 2008

Remember those places???

With all the new "big box" stores in Salisbury now I got to thinking about the stores that are no longer in Salisbury-there are lots of dollar stores now but when I was a kid there was a Woolworths in downtown Salisbury that sold everything and was HUGE-there were also 2 McCrorys stores in town and who could forget Nichols Discount City in Fruitland?There is a Walmart in just about every other town now but I still miss Montgomery Wards,Hess Apparel,Hutzlers & Ames.We also had a Friendlys Restaurant and English Grill,and Ponderosa,Pantry Pride,Meatland,and Acme,all gone!I was curious just how many people remember those places that closed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about Safeway and if you can remember there was a "Grant's" department store. Man, I'm showing my age!

Chimera said...

I remember Safeway,they had one in Pocomoke too.Grants was before my time lol-
It also occured to me that alot of the dept stores used to have cafeterias or diners inside-Woolworth,McCrory and Kmart...you name it.

Tim Chaney said...

I can remember when my Mom had prescriptions being filled at Read's Drug Store on the plaza, we would go to Woolsworth and I'd look at the pets they had and model cars.

Then Mom and I would go to the counter at Woolsworth and I would have a grilled cheese sandwich and some french fries. Gone are the days......

Chimera said...

Wasn't there also a Reads Drug over by Super Giant?I seem to recall in the early 70's my Aunt worked there.I LOVED Woolworth!!!!My grandmother often took us kids to there as well as other discount stores and we would just lollygag and window shop for hours!There were alot of little old ladies who worked in that store but they were all helpful and nice to kids!We thought we were "hot stuff" when Mom-Mom gave us money to spend in those places!