Thursday, January 24, 2008

Boy Scouts Centennial



On this day 100 years ago,the very first Boy Scout troop was organized in England by Robert Baden-Powell.While the organization has evolved and branched out wordwide in its 100 year existence,the basic principals of what Baden-Powells early first group are unchanged-Character,Citizenship,Leadership and physical fitness.Early emphasis was placed on earning merit badges for learning various skills in the Scouts,including first aid,sports,educational activities ,citizenship and wilderness survival to name just a few.Back then the Boy Scouts were geared towards young males age 11 to 16,but now there are Wolf troops for younger boys,Girl Scouts for girls 11 to 16,and Brownie Troops for the younger girls.Many generations of youth have benefitted from the Scouting experience and learned priceless life lessons and skills from their involvement with the organization.While I was never "in" all 4 of my sisters and one of my 2 brothers were in Brownies or Wolf Troop as kids.Heres to 100 more years of Scouts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was a fun time in girl scouts. learned alot was in from daisy to JRs only reason we quit cause our leaders quit. Our cookies were great!! the founder of juliet low. Here is our saying ON my honor I will try to serve god and my county to help peoples at all times and live by the girl scout law ha still got it lol dont for get ur 3 fingers on right had lol

Chimera said...

LOL I know I bought cookies from you!