Sunday, January 13, 2008

Retro Rewind


Every weekend there are decent music-themed movies on VH1 Classic,anything from "Purple Rain" to "Almost Famous"and today they are showing "Urban Cowboy",one of the FEW movies my hubby and I agree on besides "Roadhouse"!I am NOT a Travolta fan,I refer to him as John "Revolta" -I mean he was great as a "Sweathog" and phenonemal in "Grease" & "Saturday Night Fever"I just don't dig him in serious roles,I like his early stuff.I don' t even care for alot of country music either,but "Urban Cowboy" is basically a chick flick set in an action movie-classic love story meets honkytonk heaven.It sure did alot to make mechanical bulls popular.....and put Gilleys on the map!AS with any bonafide chick flick,the leading man,Travoltas "Bud"-the good guy-is so stubborn you just want to smack him!He would rather be miserable than admit to his estranged wife he still loves her!If you can get over the music,Travolta has some impressive dance moves here.And the ending is great-he beats up the bad guy,saves the fair damsel and tells her" lets go home"!See?Chick flick in an action movie!
VH1 Classic is available on most satellite/digital cable and is a worthwhile addition for people who like to see classic VH1 material,mostly stuff from the 70's and up!

No comments: