Monday, January 14, 2008

Keep the dream alive...


Regardless of what date the government "observes" as Martin Luther King,Jr.'s Birthday,it is actually January 15,which is Tuesday and were he still alive,he would be 79 years old.I also wonder how he would feel about the progress thats been made since his untimely death.I overheard two older gentlemen of opposite races talking about how they all still played together even when schools were segregated and they were my parents age,and people my age have no idea what it was like because we have never had to live with it.Then I wonder how many kids growing up today actually know who Martin Luther King was and what he stood for.So many kids now emulate the style of athletes,actors,and musicians and immerse themselves into pop culture.I applaud the organizers of the annual MLK Day Events in the area because it should not be just another day home from school-were it not for his contributions,there would still be segregation,not just in schools,but elsewhere as well.

No comments: