Thursday, January 31, 2008

Another reason I don't miss the cable companies....

Time-Warner customers of the Wheatland,Wisconsin area who are still recovering & cleaning up from a January 7th tornado are getting astronomical bills for cable equipment destroyed in the storm!One resident,who had 5 receiver units,was billed $2000 for the equipment.Time Warner told her to take it up with homeowners insurance,who were only liable for paying the depreciated value of the 9 year old cable boxes,a fraction of the 2 grand Time Warner demanded for payment.
A company spokesperson commented that most of the customers billed had transferred or cancelled service without notifying the Time Warner that it was tornado-related?Hello?I guess they didn't know there was a tornado?Are they in another state or something?They also claimed that if customers called in and reported their situation they would have taken the equipment off their account.Yeah-if my home gets leveled by a disaster and I lose everything I own,the LAST thing on my mind or to-do list is calling the cable company.
Furthermore,I am no legal scholar but as I recall from my days as a cable customer,the "boxes" are actually LEASED by the customer from the cable provider therefore isn't it their responsibility to cover damage that is no fault of the lessee/customer?Why would a homeowners or renters policy cover an item the insured party does not legally own?Am I alone on this?LOL.
At least they plan on making it right for their customers and giving them credit,but the bills should have never been issued in the 1st place.

No comments: