Sunday, January 20, 2008

A salute to the late Benny Hill

Tomorrow marks the birthdate of late British comedian Benny Hill(January 21,1925) and I cannot let the day go by without commenting on what a GREAT entertainer he was.There are two kinds of people-those who hate Benny Hill and those who think he was hysterically funny-and I fall in the latter category!I can remember as a kid that was about the raunchiest show on television-tame by todays standards-but very risque in the mid 70's.Among my favorite sketches were those where he donned a wig and dressed in drag AND who can forget the "chase scene" at the close of every show?He was surrounded by gorgeous half-dressed women and he also had a character that leered at women like a sex fiend,and he got some pans from British critics for "sexist" humor,but America loved him!There was also a little old bald man on the show that he slapped on the top of the head all the time.I could go on and on but you get it if you ever watched it!It occasionally aires on BBC channel and alot of the shows are on DVD or VHS now as well.

2 comments:

joe albero said...

This was a great show. I watched it as often as I could find it back in the early 80's.

Chimera said...

Benny Hill was the shiznit!He was just bawdy and fun!