Sunday, December 9, 2007

Am I the only one left?

Since I brought it up,the fact that I am a stay at home Mom, in my last post,I have to ask-how many of us are there left?Staying home and raising kids or in my case,a kid,is a demanding job with no pay and yet I feel so enriched by it.Don't get me wrong,I do work occasionally in my family's small business,but only as needed to fill in at busy times.We sure as hell could use the extra money but I did some rough accounting and figured out that after paying for all the gas I would need(there are no jobs where I live) AND paying a babysitter,I MIGHT have enough left from a paycheck to buy groceries,if that.Then you figure in the fact that my husband works 60 hours a week so I would STILL have to do all the housework and cooking,and it is just as economical for me to stay home until my baby starts school next year.I have looked into working from home but doing what?All the "work from home" opportunities I have investigated are nothing more than scams.A friend suggested I sell Avon or Amway but I am not a saleswoman-I couldn't sell ice cold Pepsi in Hell.I always wanted to do something in journalism,like writing a weekly column,but I do not have a college degree.Whats a girl to do?LOL.
Alot of married women I speak to say they wish they could do what I do but they can't afford it-and single mothers have no choice in the matter,so I try to think positive and be thankful for my situation.We can't afford to drive new cars,or go on trips,but the time I have with my only child is priceless.I love it,but its lonely being the last of your kind!LOL

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy do I wish I could stay home. I have 2 kids, and they have both been in daycare since they were 6 weeks old. My daycare mom is the closest thing to me. My kids are in a private setting with home cooked meals and pre-school. I am comfortable with that. I feel daycare even part time can be beneficial to a child. They learn to share, socialize, and that everything does not revolve around them. I congratulate you on your mission with your child. It takes alot to stay home and be happy. If you want to work from home, try in-home daycare. You can make up to $1,000.00 per week. No joke. As long as no one in the house is a convicted felon, getting a license is easy, have a water test done, state home inspection and a first aid class, and some nutrition courses. Also, there is a great need for in-home daycares, so the business is there. Good Luck, and keep up the good work.

Chimera said...

You are right-I do have a licensed daycare Mom who watches her for me a few days a month or when I have appts or whatever and she loves it.Good suggestion,but I would never want to do daycare,its a HUGE responsibility and I just dont have the patiene and dedication required to watch multiple kids lol!

Unknown said...

I am one of the few that is left, and like you said...IT Can Be Hard! But on the other hand, there is nothing else more rewarding! My husband is an excavator. He works by himself, no employees, and the economy is starting to dwindle the small men out. I have been with my 3 year old everyday for three years now. She starts pre-k next September. I'm not sure how I will handle my days alone. I just might go and get a job!!HaHa... I wouldn't trade this for anything else in the world. I treasure the memories I have. I am glad they weren't shared with a daycare provider. I grew up in Foster care, and vowed I would spend every possible moment with her, and with a great loving caring husband, I have been able to do that. I can't remember the last time my husband and I went out or had a moment alone for that matter..All I can say is "Us" moms are the luckiest, and I am very thankful for the life that I have.

Chimera said...

Thanks MM..
It is a demanding and lonely lifestyle LOL-especially when your husband works long hours so you can do it in the 1st place.

Historical Wit said...

Hey just a thought about journalism, you don't need a college degree to be a journalist. It is the only profession that you can start at the bottom and work your way to the top, no education required. Work at it hard enough. I studied journalism in college so I know a little about it, actually I got a degree in history, but it really is a degree in writing. I studied all forms of writing: Poetry, classical, oratory, journalism, academic prose, you name it, I studied it. Not that it does me a bunch of good, my job has nothing to do what I studied in college.

Big ups to staying home with the kids tho- I pay daycare and do the pick up shuffle and must say if I could be a stay at home dad I would in a heart beat.

Chimera said...

It would be great Wit,but I wouldnt know where to start LOL....
My biggest regret is not getting a secondary education.

Historical Wit said...

You start right here. Look at The Daily Kos. That guy was a commenter on a blog, started his own blog about politics, and blam 5 years later he has two pro writing gigs, Newsweek and The Hill. Never went to journalism school.

The start is just writing. Just write baby, just write.