Thursday, December 27, 2007

It's "Howdy Doody Time!"



60 Years ago today,"Howdy Doody" debuted on NBC,and ran until 1960-although it was before my time,my parents generation grew up watching this freckled puppet! Bob Keeshan played "Clarabel" the clown until he went on to become"Captain Kangaroo" & then-unknown actor William Shatner appeared on a Canadian version of the show.It was the beginning of a whole series of entertaining live-action Tv shows for children and has a huge place in TV history!

3 comments:

joe albero said...

Check out my version of this story, LOL

Historical Wit said...

Even better was that Captain Kangaroo was an island hopping Marine in WWII and was brave as hell under fire. What a dude.

Chimera said...

Wow-I did not know that!I figured he had acting experience,but a war veteran?!Thats pretty cool.