Thursday, December 6, 2007

Im staying out of malls!

I try to steer clear of shopping malls as much as possible this time of year but after Wednesdays shooting rampage by a troubled teen at an Omaho area mall,I think I will do alot more online shopping.Its a damn shame when you cant even go get an Orange Julius or browse department stores without fearing for your life.All the gun control fanatics will no doubt use this incident as another argument to restrict firearms sales but even with all the laws we already have,the criminals who want guns can get them and there are no easy answers to that problem.
I cannot help but think that someone,somewhere,had a clue that this guy was going to "go postal" and its tragic that nobody was able to reach this young man before he unleashed carnage on innocent holiday shoppers.Whenever you hear about a tragedy of this magnitude,you always have reports that they warned people they would "do something" and alot of times it isnt taken seriously.Maybe 99% of the time,it is just someone blowing off steam but I cant help but think had his girlfriend taken his threats seriosuly and told someone,anyone,this massacre could have been avoided.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

TotMom,
I enjoy your blog it's "earthy" I'll let ya figure that description out.
Being retired law enforcement for some 25+ years I hung up my gun with pleasure.When President Bush signed the bill allowing Police Officers and Retired Police Officers to obtain a concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed weapon anywhere in the continental United States and given the state of affairs with the growing senseless violence, I regrettfully say I obtained my permit and now carry once again, just like an American Express Card I don't leave home without it.I am by no means in the minority of old worn out retired cops now carrying once again, we are very prevelent in the 3 counties and I'd say feel abit easier while your shopping.

joe albero said...

I am so happy I asked everyone to open their own Blogs because the two of you are ROCKING!

You have no idea the pleasure it is to be able to go elsewhere and see normal real life stuff.

I do so much locally, I need another outlet and the two of you have gifted all of us with such. THANK YOU for coming on board and doing what you do!

Chimera said...

AWW shucks....Thank you guys so much!There are times when I am not able to blog as much as I would like but I do what I can.I appreciate the comments!

Chimera said...

I personally do not use or own firearms just because I am not comfortable with them and I have a small child in my home but I firmly believe that anyone who is educated in their use and has no criminal record should have the right to own them.In the future I may consider buying one,but ONLY after I learn how to properly handle them.Years ago,as a single lady living alone,I can recall browsing at Daves Sport shop and expressing interest in a compact .22 pistol and the salesman commented "Thats not going to cut it for self defense,all you are gonna do if you shoot someone with a 22 is piss them off!"LOL I dont know about that,even a pellet gun can be lethal but I decided against it because at the time there wasnt room in my schedule for firearms training.My oldest sister,on the other hand,has had extensive training and owns a Walther PPK.

Chimera said...

LOL that reminds me of a line in one of my favorite movies too-in "O Brother Where Art thou?" the 3 main characters,who escaped from a prison farm,are picked up by George "Babyface" Nelson and as they are fleeing from police he asks one of them"Do any of you boys know your way around a Walther PPK"?And Delmer,the dimwitted guy,answers"I dont believe thats in Mississippi!"