Friday, December 28, 2007

In Memory of a Fallen Firefighter.....

As we all look forward to starting a new year,I reminisce about the loved ones no longer with us.This is a solemn week in my extended family,as it has been 13 years this week my young cousin lost his life in an accident enroute to a fire call.He signed up to volunteer at his local volunteer fire department the summer he turned 16 and by age 18,he was Chief Engineer,responsible for upkeep and maintainence on emergency vehicles.In addition to working as a 911 dispatcher for the county,he was trained as a firefighter and EMT.At an age when other kids are partying and goofing off,he had committed himself to helping others and gave 101% at everything he did.He was a great kid,and probably would have been Fire Chief right now were he here with us still.My brothers and sisters and I miss him,and I justed wanted to give him an honorable mention,you could say,because I am very proud of him and all he accomplished in his 18 years,and for doing a tough job because it was what he wanted to do to give back to his community.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP.


My heart goes out to you. It is a tough thing to deal with. I hope your new years goes good and smooth. Be safe take care....

Jonathan L. Gerity Sr.

Chimera said...

Thank you for your comments!
We miss him more each year.