Sunday, December 9, 2007

What a day in musical history!


As I was surfing the 'net earlier,I realized that this is a noteable day in music history.27 years ago today,a deranged assassin gunned down John Lennon outside the Dakota Apartments in NYC as he was returning home from an outing.While he wasn't my FAVORITE Beatle,he was nevertheless a musical legend even while he was still alive not to mention he risked his own freedom by protesting against the war in Vietnam years before his untimely death.Country singer Marty Robbins also died on this date,in 1982.
On the other end of the life cycle,Jim Morrison came into the world on this day in 1943 and later went on to become the frontman for one of the GREATEST bands of all time,The Doors.Jim did everything in excess and was facing prison time for indecent exposure at a 1970 Miami concert when he "died" on July 3,1971 in Paris.He had went to France to immerse himself in what he felt was his true calling,being a poet.To this day,just like Elvis,many people still firmly believe he did not in fact die and is actually living in obscurity somewhere.As much as I wish it wasn't so,I think he would have had a hard time staying out of the limelight all these years.He was fond of telling people"You are drinking with Number 3" after the deaths of Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix and many of his poems and lyrics were filled with the subject of death.Ironically,in 2003,his cemetary plot lease was expired and there were talks of exhuming his body but his parents,who inherited half his estate(the other half going to the parents of his girlfriend,Pamela Courson,who OD'ed in 1974),offered to cover all costs of removing graffiti from surrounding memorials and providing security to a gravesite that draws thousands of visitors annually to this day-so Mr.Mojo Risin stayed on.I personally would love to visit myself-but I am terrified of flying.Sammy Davis Jr was also born on this day,in 1925.
On this day in 1995,The Grateful Dead announced it was disbanding after 30 years,and just 4 months after the death of Jerry Garcia.Although I like a few of their songs,I never was a Deadhead.Wayyyy before my time-it was my parents time, and my Dad was too busy dodging bullets in Vietnam to worry about the Summer of Love and Mom was home waiting for him.
So,as I said,what a day for musical historians!And long live the Lizard King!

No comments: