Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Zombies take on "Halloween"

I went out and rented a copy of Rob Zombies remake of John Carpenters "Halloween" today and while I did like the prequel plot,detailing Michael Myers slide into insanity,it just aint the same as the original with scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis.
Zombies previous horror films were pretty ghastly,I wanted to take a two hour shower and go to church after watching "Devils Rejects" and he is a great director,and I liked how the 2nd half of his remake paralleled the original,but it didnt WOW me like I expected.I was impressed with the diverse cast-Malcolm McDowell is no Donald Pleasance,but he convinced me as this films Dr.Loomis.Actors from Zombies other films appeared here too-Sid Haig,Bill Moseley & Sheri Moon-Zombie.Clint Howard,brother of Ron Howard and perennial cameo actor was in it,as well as a suprising brief appearance by Mickey Dolenz,of the Monkees!
The best thing I can say about it is that the backstory was satisfying,other than that it was basically a reworking of what John Carpenter did 30 years ago,albeit updated for the times.I was disappointed in the claim that it was the "uncut" version,because frankly it just was not as gory as suggested.I love the horror genre but I get so tired of the "uncut-too scary for the theaters" claims some movies make.They show a few tit n ass shots,and a little blood and its supposed to be better????It did boast a graphic rape scene,but it was not germain to the story so it was just unnecessary in my opinion.
It just came out on DVD today so if any of you decide to check it out this week or this weekend please let me know what you thought.

2 comments:

Tim Chaney said...

I remember a Seinfeld episode that had Clint Howard playing a convict that got arrested and was in the back seat of the police car with Jerry and George LoL

Chimera said...

LOL-I remember that!!!Hes been in so many movie and TV guest spots