Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Salisbury literally is going to hell




If you wanted further proof that Salisbury is going to hell,read todays Daily Times article about Bethany Lutheran Church.Duvafiles first reported it and now the Times has the full story.It seems that some members of the congregation have been having religious gatherings in a dwelling adjacent to the church and the neighbors are bitching about it.Their main gripe was people parking on the street and carrying food in the home.WTF???So people started parking in the church lot.Did that stop the complaints?NO.With all the crime and other nuisances in Salisbury neighborhoods,theres nothing better for people to complain about than someone bringing a covered dish to Bible study?Get real.
It seems the church applied for,and was granted,approval by the city,county AND state,no less,to be exempted and use the home for church activity.However,Bill Holland,the head of Salisburys department of Building,Permits & Inspections,claims they never completed the process and that no public hearings on the issue were held.The church now has the option of seeking relief from a federal statute exempting churches from zoning restrictions and I hope they pursue the matter.Salisbury officials have way bigger fish to fry,in my opinion.If you don't believe me,drive out and see all the abandoned commercial buildings and derelict houses that the city has just let slide under the radar.As I said before,I do not want to blog on local political matters but this has gotten my dander up.So,technically,anyone who has a weekly Bible study in their home is breaking the laws too.I understand that the inspectors have a job to do,but there are more serious zoning issues,like the several boarded up houses owned by the Wicomico Housing Authority and allowed to just deteriorate by the city,and the many empty storefronts falling apart,just to name a few.
As far as the neighbors who made the anonymous calls to Hollands office-they really need to get a life and be thankful its a church and not college students or drug dealers next door to them like there is in so many other neighborhoods.

7 comments:

Two Date Diva said...

Nice Blog! I found you on Average Girl's site. I'll stay tuned.

Chimera said...

Thanks!!!And I hope you do come back and check in!!!!

karen said...

Totmom,
This is my home church, though I must admit I do not attend. My father, however, does. Before they purchased the current parish house, there was another one where the parking lot now sits. It was used for the Pastor's office and Sunday School classes. As a small piece of trivia, the church also owned the church where J. Albero's FIL now resides. The church has always opened its doors to civic organizations, AA, and political organizations. There has never been a problem before. Do you know why they are being given such a problem? I have not talked to my Dad about this yet.

Chimera said...

Karen-As far as I know the city is claiming the church didnt "follow the appropriate steps" to legally be permitted to bypass zoning ordinances.Its still pretty lame considering all the other homes and businesses in the city not complying with the laws.

karen said...

I'm going to look intoo this...I'll keep you posted.

Tim Chaney said...

Any church has the money to fight this in court and bring this administration to their knees and I hope they do.

That's why we pay dearly for a Supreme court, let's give them something to earn their keep for a lifetime.

Historical Wit said...

alright, if your a tv junkie, you need to check out www.wwtdd.com

You will love it...