Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Do YOU know who lives in a pineapple under the sea???



Yep!I am "coming out of the closet" and admitting my not so well kept secret to the world-I love Spongebob Squarepants!Laugh all you want,I have no shame in admitting I have seen almost every episode to date,as well as the Spongebob Squarepants Movie and I am proud of it!

It started in 2003,when I was pregnant with my daughter....I was coming to grips with the fact that at age 32 I would have to start getting used to watching all the kids shows and decided I may as well get acquainted with them sooner than later,so I made hubby watch Spongebob with me and expected it to be dull-but we ended up laughing our arses off and I quickly caught on to it and fell in love!Fast forward 4 years later,and not only is Spongebob one of my daughters favorites,its a show we all watch together quite often!Yep!At my advanced age(36) I know all the words to the shows theme song and can tell you anything you need to know about each character!One of my baby girls first phrases was "Bob-bob Pair-Pants" and our copy of the movie is almost worn to a nub.Some of the newer episodes arent even close to the classics like "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy"(voiced by Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway,no less!)but its still a great show with humor that any age group can appreciate.So if you too like to watch the square yellow sponge and his pet snail,come out now!I promise,no one will laugh....Well I wont anyway!

And speaking of cartoons,how about the golden oldies?I get Boomerang on my TV,a 24 hour commercial free network with mostly old school cartoons like Tom & Jerry,MGM(Droopy & other Tex Avery toons),Popeye,Pink Panther,Johnny Quest and virtually any Hanna Barbera cartoon you can think of-also Superfriends and Batman!They even show that old classic,"Banana Splits" at 5 am every morning(yes I am up sometimes that early).Todays animation doesnt hold a candle to the greats!And werent the cartoons we watched as kids uber-violent?Characters assaulted one another with anvils,golf clubs,big boulders-you name it.And I have lost count of how many times someone on those tunes got blasted in the face with a shotgun....todays yuppie Pc mentality would never allow that!Also,you can date alot of the older cartoons by the subject matter-alot of MGM cartoons have numerous references to WWII-such as war bonds,draft board notices,victory gardens and meatless dinner days and its amazing that the cartoons I grew up with were around before my parents were born!Some of my favorites from the 40's and 50's were the "inventions of tomorrow" series-remember?"The house of tomorrow",and "the cars of tomorrow"?

In closing,I say no matter how old you are-you are never too old to laugh!Theres no shame in adults who love cartoons!!!!Happy viewing!

6 comments:

Historical Wit said...

Shoot what about the overt sexuality in those oldies? But the thing that my wife and I agree upon is the old cartoons feel human where all the new commputer animaiton just doesn't have that quality to it. I watch Noddy and I am like, no way I would have watched that crap, but then I look at the Backyardigans and I am like that one is done right. Still give me good old hand drawn cartoons anyday. Just look at the new Mickey Moue Clubhouse cartoon. It doens't even feel like a Disney cartoon.

Anonymous said...

I love Spongebob, and so do both my kids. Patrick is my favorite, and when I start laughing like him, my husband just about spits his drink out!!!!!! I am not alone - thank god....

joe albero said...

Well, now raising a 7 year old TODAY, (it's his Birthday today) and starting all over again, I HATE THAT YELLOW SOB! LOL

I am subjected to the laugh 24/7 and Jimmy Neutron! If I didn't have such a nice TV I would have thrown anything and everything through the screen.

I now wear earplugs in the house just to make everyone happy. Lord knows what they're saying about me in my own household now. ROTFLMAO!

Anonymous said...

My kids did get the experience of watching "old cartoons" at least old for me. You know, bugs bunny, felix the cat, tom & jerry ect.... And they were laughing their butts off. Remember - Tom & Jerry do not talk. So it was interesting to see their responses. Now Joe, on the ear plugs, nice idea.

Chimera said...

I forgot to mention,my baby loves Tom &Jerry!!!
Backyardigans is an AWESOME childrens show!Every episode is literally an imaginative adventure they go on right in their backyard and my favorite is 'Riding the Range' with 'Pirate Adventure' coming in at a close second!

Chimera said...

Awwww.c'mon Joe-who could not like Spongebob???LOL-but you arent alone.My sisters husband refuses to let their boy(2) watch it at all because of Sponges ambiguous sexuality LMAO.